Maritime Agencies
Information Minister Highlights President Tinubu’s Achievements, says 2025 Is A Year of Consolidation.
By Izuchukwu Ozoemena
For President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s administration, 2025 is a pivotal year to consolidate and build upon the significant achievements recorded in the first 19 months of governance.
Information and National Orientation Minister, Muhammed Idris, made the declaration in Abuja during a ministerial briefing to highlight the President’s achievements so far.
According to a release by Henshaw Ogubike, Director, Public Communication and National Orientation, Federal Ministry of Information and National Orientation, the Minister emphasized the importance of reflecting on the accomplishments as the administration approaches its mid-term.
“This inaugural briefing for 2025 serves as a reminder of our progress and the context in which these gains are being realized,” the Minister stated.
Key areas of achievement under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s leadership, Minister Idris outlined include fiscal, macroeconomic, and legislative reforms. Others are fuel subsidy removal which he termed a strategic move which has plugged financial leakages amounting to hundreds of billions of Naira annually.
Others achievements are in the area of foreign exchange transparency and stability which has led to the introduction of the Electronic Foreign Exchange Matching System (EFEMS). This has resulted to unprecedented stability in the FX market, clearing billions of dollars in backlogs and boosting foreign investment. The Naira recently reached an eight-month high in the official market, the Minister recalled.
In oil and gas reforms, the Minister said that in 2024, Nigeria became the most attractive destination for oil and gas investments in Africa, securing over $5 billion in Final Investment Decisions (FIDs) even as the Electricity Act of 2024 provides a framework for state governments to establish regulated electricity markets, following a constitutional amendment.
On Local Government Autonomy, a landmark Supreme Court ruling in July 2024 empowered local governments with unprecedented financial autonomy, with an Inter-Ministerial Committee established to ensure compliance.
Speaking on Targeted Interventions, especially concerning Students’ Loan Fund, Minister Idris said over 169,000 students have benefited from NELFUND, receiving N32.8 billion for school fees and upkeep while new Development Commissions have been established for the North-Central, South-East, and North-West regions alongside the creation of a Federal University of Environmental Technology.
The Federal Executive Council, he disclosed, recently approved $1.07 billion from the World Bank for health programs including targeted subsidies for cancer patients.
While a backlog of over 200,000 international passports were cleared within three weeks in 2024,
an investment of over $450 million has been made to develop Nigeria’s CNG value chain.
He announced that in the area of infrastructure development, under President Tinubu’s leadership, Nigeria has become a hub of construction activity. Recent approvals from the Federal Executive Council include over 2.5 trillion Naira for various road projects. These include N1.334 trillion for the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway, N470.9 billion for access roads to the Second Niger Bridge and N195 billion for the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway reconstruction.
On Defence and Security, he announced that in 2024, security forces neutralized over 8,000 terrorists and bandits, rescued 8,000 kidnap victims, and established a Multi-Agency Anti-Kidnap Fusion Cell in collaboration with the UK’s National Crime Agency.
A Ministry of Livestock Development was established in 2024 to tap into a multi-billion-dollar agricultural opportunity, contributing to significant drops in grain prices.
On December 18, 2024, President Tinubu presented a proposed budget of N49.7 trillion, later increased to N54.2 trillion due to additional revenue projections. The budget, termed the “Budget of Restoration,” prioritizes Security (N4.91 trillion), Infrastructure (N4.06 trillion), Education (N3.52 trillion) and Health (N2.48 trillion).
Minister Idris reaffirmed that President Tinubu’s bold initiatives are fostering greater fiscal capacity, a reformed tax regime, and improved living standards for Nigerians through various support programmes.
“We are witnessing a transformative era where hope is being renewed for all Nigerians regardless of age or gender, across the nation,” he concluded.
Maritime Agencies
Apapa Customs in Historic Revenue Boost, Nets N28 Billion In One Day.
By Izuchukwu Ozoemena
The Apapa Area Command of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) is ever committed to sustain and even surpass the current zeal with which it is prosecuting enhanced revenue generation, trade facilitation, professionalism and stakeholder collaboration because every legitimate revenue collected strengthens government’s capacity to deliver on its development priorities and improve the lives of Nigerians.
The Command’s image maker, Chief Superintendent of Customs Isa Suleiman Ibrahim disclosed this in a press release on behalf of the Customs Area Command Controller, Comptroller Emmanuel Oshoba.
The release disclosed a historic revenue collection of Twenty-Eight Billion,One Hundred and Two Million, Nine Hundred and Fourteen Naira, Sixty-One Kobo (₦28,102,000,914.61k) on Tuesday, 18th August, 2026, the highest single-day revenue collection ever recorded by the Command.
The feat, the release indicated, surpasses the previous daily record of ₦20.1 billion, achieved in September 2025, shortly after the assumption of office of the present Customs Area Controller, CAC, Comptroller Emmanuel Oshoba.
The new record is achieved weeks after the Command recorded an unprecedented ₦323 billion monthly revenue collection in July 2026, thus demonstrating the sustained impact of reforms, improved compliance, enhanced trade facilitation, intelligence-driven interventions and the increasing efficiency of digital Customs processes.
Commenting on the feat, Comptroller Oshoba stressed that the achievement is not simply about figures or records. It is about what the Nigeria Customs Service is contributing to the economic wellbeing of Nigerians.
Revenue generated by the Service, he explained, forms part of government resources used to fund public priorities including infrastructure, security, education, healthcare and other services that ultimately impact the lives of ordinary Nigerians.
He therefore dedicated the milestone to the Government and people of Nigeria, while commending the Comptroller-General of Customs, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, and the management team of the Service for their continued support for modernisation, automation and reforms aimed at making Customs operations more efficient, transparent and business-friendly.
The CAC also acknowledged the cooperation of compliant importers, exporters, licensed Customs agents and other stakeholders, as well as patriotic Nigerians who have provided actionable intelligence in achieving this feat.
He stressed that every compliant transaction contributes to national development and urged stakeholders to continue supporting legitimate trade since a stronger revenue base gives the government greater capacity to respond to the needs of the people and create an environment where businesses can thrive.
Comptroller Oshoba charged officers and men of the Command to see the record as a clarion call to do more.
He emphasised that revenue collection must be achieved alongside trade facilitation, professionalism, transparency and respect for stakeholders, directing personnel to resolve legitimate disputes promptly and ensure that Customs procedures do not unnecessarily hinder lawful businesses.
Maritime Agencies
COUNTDOWN TO 2027 ELECTIONS: Customs Hands Over 399 Seized Rifles To NCCSALW .
By Izuchukwu Ozoemena
As the political space is heating up and preparations underway for the 2027 general elections, the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) has restated her firm determination to tighten the noose against the illegal entry of arms and ammunition which could promote violence in Nigeria.

DIG Johnson Babatunde Kokumo (rtd).
Comptroller-General of Customs, Dr Adewale Adeniyi made the vow in Lagos, Monday, while handing over seized weapons to the Office of the National Security Adviser through the Director-General, National Centre for the Control of Small Arms and Light Weapons, (NCCSALW), Deputy Inspector-General of Police Johnson Babatunde Kokumo (rtd).
Identifying Robert Eze and Ejiogu Godson as the alleged importers of a consignment containing 399 fully assembled JoJeF pump-action rifles and other firearm components intercepted at the Tin Can Island Port in Lagos, the Custom boss said surveillance and enforcement operations are being intensified to prevent criminal networks from exploiting Nigeria’s land borders, seaports and airports to import dangerous arms to further their evil intentions.

The two persons arrested.
Additional rifle parts intercepted by the Customs include 89 frames, 16 heat shields, 10 trigger pins, three pistons, 25 locking lugs, 80 charging handles and 39 pistol-grip screws. Others are 34 springs, 57 trigger groups, 66 foregrip latches, 45 foregrips/handguards, four pistol grips and five barrels.
“We are about entering a major election cycle, and we know that by this period, men of the underworld will want to use our borders, our ports, our airports to bring in items like this,” CGC Adeniyi warned.
”We are going to redouble our efforts to ensure that we do not allow them to do so,” he added.
He explained that since Customs cannot physically open every container entering the country, applying technology-driven risk profiling in operations has become a tool to identify suspicious consignments. Risk management system enables the Service to determine which containers require physical examination. This particular interception, he explained, demonstrates the effectiveness of the system.
Having completed the inventory and assessment of the illicit shipment, the CGC handed over the seized armaments to the Director General of the NCCSALW. This underscores a unified inter-agency commitment to taking dangerous weapons entirely off the streets and ensuring that cabals behind the trafficking network are tracked down and brought to justice.
The CGC described the development as more than a seizure, noting that the interception, investigation, arrest of suspects, prosecution and handover of the firearms represented a complete enforcement chain.
He added that Robert Eze and Godson Ejiogu, the two suspects arrested during the preliminary investigation, had been remanded by the Federal High Court in Lagos, awaiting arraignment for August 25.
The Service, he pledged, would continue to strengthen intelligence – gathering, risk management and collaboration with sister security agencies to identify and disrupt attempts to smuggle firearms into Nigeria.
Accepting the arms and ammunition for further action, the NCCSALW Director-General, Deputy Inspector-General of Police Johnson Babatunde Kokumo (rtd) described the handing-over as a decisive step in strengthening the collective security of the people.

”This is more than a ceremonial handing/taking over of seized intercepted illicit weapons. It is a statement of intent, a commitment to protect lives, uphold justice and preserve the stability of our communities.”
The proliferation of illegal small arms and light weapons, he explained, remains a primary catalyst for terrorism, banditry, kidnapping and insurgency and other violent crimes.

”Armed violence fuelled by uncontrolled weapons through illegal importation or smuggling exerts a devastating toll on civilian lives, disrupts communities and undermines the foundation of governance and development. Nigeria cannot be indifferent to this reality. Our own assessment has shown with discomforting clarity that a significant proportion of illegal arms in circulation may have at some point passed through official channels.”
DIG Kokumo reiterated that illicit weapons taken out of the hands of nonstate actors is a direct blow to criminal networks and a vital step towards safeguarding innocent citizens.
”So far, over 21000 arms and light weapons have been retrieved while over 19000 have been destroyed since the establishment of NCCSALW.”
Maritime Agencies
Ex-NPA MD, Hadiza Bala Usman, Set To Deliver Keynote Address At MAMAL 2026.
By Izuchukwu Ozoemena
Former Managing Director of the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA), Hadiza Bala Usman, will be the keynote speaker at the 2026 edition of the Maritime Annual Maritime Lecture, (MAMAL).
The flagship annual programme being hosted by the Maritime Reporters Association of Nigeria (MARAN) takes place on Thursday, September 10, 2026, at the Nigerian Air Force Event Centre, No. 1 Kofo Abayomi Street, Victoria Island, Lagos. Time is 10am.
MAMAL is MARAN’s flagship programme which brings together key government officials, maritime industry regulators, academics, shipping magnates, freight forwarders, journalists and other critical stakeholders in the maritime sector to deliberate on issues affecting the growth and competitiveness of Nigeria’s maritime industry.
The theme of this year’s lecture is “Nigerian Ports Modernisation, Charges and the Competitiveness Question.”
The Executive Director, Technical, of TANTITA Security Services Limited, Captain Warredi Enisuoh will serve as the Chairman of MAMAL 2026, while the Minister of Marine and Blue Economy, Alhaji Adegboyega Oyetola, will be the Special Guest of Honour.
Speaking on the significance of the theme, MARAN President, Mr. Yinka Onigbinde, said the lecture would provide an important platform to examine the urgent need for modernisation of Nigerian ports and the benefits such modernisation would bring to the nation’s economy.
According to him, efficient and modern port infrastructure is critical to improving cargo handling, reducing delays and costs, attracting investment and strengthening Nigeria’s position as a competitive maritime hub.
Onigbinde said MAMAL 2026 would also provide an opportunity for stakeholders to engage in constructive discussions on port charges and other factors affecting the competitiveness of Nigerian ports.
He described Hajiya Hadiza Bala Usman as an experienced voice in the maritime sector whose wealth of knowledge and experience would add significant value to the discussions at the lecture.
The MARAN President also expressed the Association’s appreciation to Captain Warredi Enisuoh for accepting to chair the event, describing his experience in maritime security and industry development as an added value to the programme.
He noted that the presence of the Minister of Marine and Blue Economy as Special Guest of Honour further underscores the importance of the theme and the Federal Government’s efforts towards repositioning Nigeria’s maritime sector for greater efficiency and competitiveness.
The MARAN President noted that the 2026 edition of MAMAL is the fourth in the series, underscoring the Association’s commitment to providing a credible platform for informed debate and professional engagement on critical maritime issues.
-
News3 weeks agoDisaster Imminent in Apapa as Widening Cracks Overtake Liverpool-Marine Road Junction. ………. Stakeholders Send SOS to Government.
-
Maritime Agencies3 weeks agoCSR: Customs CG Hosts Apapa Students in Sports, Pledges Sponsorship for Outstanding Young Athletes.
-
Maritime Agencies1 week agoSeme Customs Arrests 2, Intercepts Explosives, Expired Noodles As Command’s Revenue Hits N19.8bn.
-
Maritime Agencies3 weeks agoTRANSQuest MAGAZINE @ 21: With Huge Maritime Endowments, Stakeholders Warn, Nigeria Can’t be Poor, Government Must Realign Her Priorities.
-
Maritime Agencies3 weeks agoECTS: PTML Customs Mounts an Awareness Campaign
-
Maritime Agencies3 weeks agoAfCFTA: Nigeria, Cameroon, Benin To Establish Joint Customs Strategic Steering Committee on Beitbridge Communique.
-
Maritime Agencies3 weeks agoTopfield College Clinches Overall Position as Customs’ WASA Sports Event ends in Lagos.
-
Maritime Agencies2 weeks agoCGC Restates Position on Illicit Arms, Unveils Intercepted Weapons and Drugs Worth N373m
